Copper, we filter that.
Copper is a metal that occurs naturally in rock, soil, plants, animals, and water. Since copper is easily shaped or molded, it is commonly used to make electrical wiring, and household plumbing materials. Copper may be combined with other metals to make brass and bronze pipes and faucets. Copper compounds are also used as agricultural pesticides and to control algae in lakes and reservoirs. All living organisms including humans need copper to survive; therefore, a trace amount of copper in our diet is necessary for good health. However, some forms of copper or excess amounts can also cause health problems.
How did copper get in my water?
The level of copper in surface and groundwater is generally very low. High levels of copper may get into the environment through mining, farming, manufacturing operations, and municipal or industrial wastewater releases into rivers and lakes. Copper can get into drinking water either by directly contaminating well water or through corrosion of copper pipes if your water is acidic. Corrosion of pipes is by far the greatest cause for concern.
How do you remove copper from your water?
Heating or boiling your water will not remove copper. Because some of the water evaporates during the boiling process, the copper concentrations can actually increase slightly as the water is boiled. Additionally, chlorine (bleach) disinfection will not remove copper.
If the copper in your drinking water is not from the groundwater but from your plumbing, flushing the water system before using the water for drinking or cooking is a practical option. Any time a faucet has not been used for several hours (approximately 6 or more), you can flush the system by running the water for at least 15 seconds first thing in the morning before drinking or using it. Flush each faucet individually before using the water for drinking or cooking. Water flushed from the tap can be used for watering plants, washing dishes or clothing, or cleaning. Avoid cooking with or drinking water from hot water taps, because hot water dissolves copper more readily than cold water does.
You may also wish to consider water treatment methods such as reverse osmosis, ultra-filtration, distillation, or ion exchange. Typically these methods are used to treat water at only one faucet.
What are the potential health effects of copper?
The normal adult requires approximately two to three milligrams of copper per person per day. More than 90% of your dietary need for copper is provided by food. Drinking water usually provides less than 10% of your daily copper intake.
Consumption of high levels of copper can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, gastric (stomach) complaints and headaches. Long term exposure over many months and years can cause liver damage and death.
Epic Water Filter Products the remove Copper:
Epic Pure Pitcher >95.8%
Epic Nano Pitcher >98.9%
Epic Urban Bottle Filter >50%
Epic Outdoor Bottle Filter >98.9%