1,2,3-Trichloropropane, we filter that.
1,2,3-Trichloropropane is a synthetic chemical that is also known as allyl trichloride, glycerol trichlorohydrin, and trichlorohydrin. It is a colorless, heavy liquid with a sweet but strong odor. It evaporates very quickly and small amounts dissolve in water. It is mainly used to make other chemicals. Some of it is also used as an industrial solvent, paint and varnish remover,and cleaning and degreasing agent.
The Department of Health and Human Services, the International Agency for Research on Cancer, and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) have not classified 1,2,3trichloropropane for carcinogenicity. We do not know whether 1,2,3-trichloropropane causes cancer in humans, but animals that swallowed low doses for most of their lives developed tumors in several organs.
Rats and mice died after breathing air containing 1,2,3-trichloropropane at levels higher than we have in the environment. When rats breathed it at levels lower than those that irritated humans, they developed eye, nose, and lung irritation, and liver and kidney disease. The main health effect in both animals and people is damage to the respiratory system. When rats swallowed 1,2,3-trichloropropane at high levels, they died from liver and kidney damage.
When exposed to moderate levels that did not cause death, the rats had minor liver and kidney damage, blood disorders, and stomach irritation. When it was applied to the skin of rabbits, it caused severe irritation followed by injury to internal organs. This happened only when large amounts were applied to the skin. We do not know if 1,2,3-trichloropropane damages people's ability to reproduce or if it causes birth defects. When rats breathed low levels for several weeks or swallowed a large amount for a few days there were no effects on their ability to reproduce and there was no increase in birth defects.